“Education consists in fact of enabling man to become more man, to ‘be’ more and not just to ‘have’ more and consequently, through everything he ‘has’, everything he ‘possesses’, to ‘be’ man more fully. For this purpose man must be able to ‘be more’” not only ‘with others’, but also ‘for others’.”
– Pope John Paul II, Address to UNESCO, June 2nd, 1980.
MISSION STATEMENT OF MELCHIOR WANKOWICZ SECONDARY SCHOOL IN KATOWICE, POLAND
A clear vision of one’s goals is a fundamental step towards achieving them. Our school strives to mould students into competent, educated men and women who are fully capable of participating in adult life.
Our mission is to insure that our students:
- develop an awareness /appreciation of a wide range of belief systems and learn to trust their own judgement.
- take an active and responsible role in planning and organising their own learning.
- use a variety of sources, including the latest multi-media/internet technologies.
- tackle life’s problems in a levelheaded and rationale manner.
- are open to/tolerant of new cultures and attitudes, while maintaining respect for Polish cultural heritage and traditions.
- express themselves in a cultured and civilised manner.
- respect the value and impact of human endeavours.
- are able to function as part of a team.
- behave appropriately and politely in all social situations.
- regard ‘failures’ as feedback that stimulates their growth.
- strive to develop both mentally and physically, so that their minds and bodies are in harmony.
- demonstrate genuine civic and ethical maturity.